beautiful dreamer

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Happy Mother's Day

My mom always told me that I would never feel true, unconditional love until I had children. I would always think, "Of course. That's just common sense, isn't it? There isn't anyway you could ever love anyone more than your child".

When I got pregnant, I thought I really knew what she was talking about. Knowing that E was inside me, growing and changing day by day, moving, kicking, rolling....I would rub my belly and think "I love her so much already". Even through the backaches, heartburn, morning sickness, etc. I loved her more than I could ever dream. But my mom would say, "Just wait".

There was so much excitement leading up to her birth. I would lay in bed, unable to sleep, partly because of discomfort, (seemed like she was always pinching something in there), but mostly because of anticipation. When I had false labor and we went to the hospital, I was nervous and thrilled at the same time. When they sent us home, it was such a disappointment. But before long, the anticipation returned.

At 3:30 a.m. on Monday, August 16, the contractions started and were REAL. It had begun. And 13 hours later, when the nurse laid this screaming, purple little person on my chest, I finally knew what Mom meant.

I looked at her little face, and she looked at mine, and it was like we had known each other since the beginning of time. She was so perfect, with ten tiny fingers, ten little toes, a head full of black hair and the most beautiful lips. I cried harder than I'd ever cried before. They were tears of relief, joy, and peace.

I still feel that way when I look at her today, almost 9 months later. Like she's always been here. It's hard to remember life before E. I think we all feel that way.


And I truly know what love is now.


Happy Mother's Day to all of the Mommies, Nanas, Lolas, Grandmas, Great-Grandmas. Enjoy your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment